"Get into the celebration with sweet plantains and chocolate."
plantains with mexican chocolate sauce
- Prep Time: 20 min.
- Bake Time: 15 to 20 min.
- Decoration Time: 1 min.
- Yield: Makes 8 servings.
- 3 very ripe plantains (black-skinned)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, plus extra for buttering the baking dish
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon plus dash of ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup DOVE® Brand Dark Chocolate Miniatures
- ½ cup sour cream, crème fraiche (or crema), or greek strained yogurt, optional
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted chopped M&M’S® Peanut Chocolate Candies, optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter a casserole or baking dish. Cut the ends off of the plantains and peel. Cut them lengthwise on the diagonal into 1/4 to 1/2 inch-thick slices and place in baking dish. Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into small cubes and place the pieces over the plantains. Sprinkle brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon on top and bake, turning once until plantains are soft and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes (you may want to place them under the broiler for a minute at the end in order to fully caramelize them).
In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the cream, butter, chipotle powder, vanilla, and remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Heat over low flame until hot but not boiling, about 2 minutes. Add the DOVE® Brand Dark Chocolate Miniatures and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture forms a thick sauce.
Divide plantains among 8 serving dishes, top with a tablespoon of sour cream, crème fraiche or yogurt, and drizzle with chocolate sauce. If using, sprinkle with chopped M&M’S® Peanut Chocolate Candies and serve.
- Calories per serving 231
- Total Fat 11 g
- Saturated Fat 7 g
- Trans Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 20 mg
- Sodium 18 mg
- Carbohydrates 33 g
- Dietary Fiber 3 g
- Sugars 18 g
- Protein 3 g
- Vitamin A 0%DV
- Vitamin C 0%DV
- Calcium 0%DV
- Iron 0%DV